By Rita Elenwo
The federal government has given 33 billion naira to construction company, RCC, to commence work on the Eleme-Onne section of the East-West road in Rivers State.
The Minister of Works, Mr David Umahi, disclosed this on Wednesday in port Harcourt, when he inspected the project and other ongoing federal government projects in the state.
Speaking at the Eleme-Onne road, Umahi said President Bola Tinubu sent him on a working visit to inspect the level of work ongoing in the sites.
Umahi explained that the project became necessary after Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara and the Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike,visited the president on the matter.
“This road from Eleme to Onne port, the Rivers State people led by Governor Siminalayi Fubara and former governor Nyesom Wike-led delegation came to see the president. The president directed that I should immediately come here and ensure that work has started. The President has released 33 Billion naira in this project to RCC for them to start”.
On a visit to the Port Harcourt-Aba section of the Port Harcourt-Enugu road project, the minister commended the contractor, CCECC, on what they have done so far, noting that the government was still owing the construction firm but assured them of completion of payment before the end of project.
“Thank you CCECC, beautiful work you have done. Excellent, beautiful bridges they have done. I gave them a vote of confidence and I approve the work,” .
Umahi, who regretted that the project was not captured in the 2023 appropriation, assured the people that he would discuss with the President on how to sort funds to complete the project.
“Now you have paid N18billion. I direct you to return to the site immediately. You were supposed to have done a total of 12kilometers. You said we are even owing you another N5 million, so I direct you to return to site and what you are to do on both lanes down to Ala-Ojii in Aba is to remove all the silts in all the ditches, fill it with sharp sand, less 30-45cm, fill the 45 with stonebase in both lanes and allow vehicles to play on both lanes.
“And on this project, unfortunately, we only have N11billion in 2023 Appropriation. I am going to see how they get this, but I am going to report to Mr President to see if we can seek special funding for the Port Harcourt-Aba road project. But I assure the contractor that funding will not be a problem. I want you to rule our your engineers, your machines, I will be coming to inspect the two lanes,” he said.Follow us on social media