Behold Justice Tanko Muhammad, the new Chief Justice of Nigeria!
Justice Tanko Muhammed, the new acting Chief Justice of Nigeria was sworn in a few minutes ago by President Muhammadu Buhari immediately after the suspension of former CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen.
Below are some facts about the new CJN
- Justice Muhammed was born on 31 December, 1953 at Doguwa – Giade, a local government area in Bauchi State.
- He is a Nigerian jurist and Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
- He was formerly a Justice of the Nigerian courts of appeal.
- He attended Government Secondary School, Azare, where he obtained the West Africa School Certificate in 1973 before he later proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University where he received a bachelor’s degree in Law in 1980.
- He later obtained a Master and Doctorate (PhD) degrees from the same university in 1984 and 1998 respectively.
- Tanko began his career in 1982, after his Call to Bar in 1981, the same year he graduated from the Nigerian Law School.
- In 1989, he was appointed as Chief Magistrate of the High Court of Federal Capital Territory, a position he held till 1991 when he became a Judge at the Bauchi State Sharia Court of Appeal.
- He served in that capacity for two years before he was appointed to the Bench of the Nigerian courts of appeal as Justice in 1993.
- He held this position for 13 years before he was appointed to the Bench of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 2006 but was sworn in on January 7, 2007.
Source: WikipediaFollow us on social media